What to Pack, Part II

In addition to packing my clothes, here is the list of other items I brought. I think about 90% of my packed items are posted, but I add things as I remember or rediscover them in my pack. Questions or suggestions appreciated!


Electronics
  • Asus Netbook
  • Kindle Touch
  • iPhone
  • iPod
  • Camera
  • Power strip***
  • Universal adapter
Medicine Cabinet & Beauty
  • Ibuprofen
  • Pepto
  • Imodium
  • OTC Cold/Flu meds from the UK (they just work better IMO)
  • Gauze
  • Neosporin
  • Antihistamine
  • 6"x4" makeup pouch
  • Shampoo/soap/conditioner*
  • Sunscreen
  • Loofah (Yep)
  • DEET
  • Disinfecting wipes
  • Face wash/moisturizer&sunscreen
  • Baby powder
  • Contacts & solution
  • Eye mask & ear plugs (SO helpful!!)
  • Toothpaste/Toothbrush/Floss**
*Some blogs have claimed that finding these items were hard while traveling, but I found in Chile, Argentina, and Uruguay that this was not a all the case. Also, since I was going to be on the road for a while, I moved from travel sized to normal sized bottles.

**It is unnecessarily difficult to find a toothpaste in NYC that isn't too-large family sized or itty bitty travel sized.

Odds & Ends
  • Doorstop***
  • Headlamp
  • Whistle***
  • Master combination lock (was stolen)
  • Cable lock
  • Cheap sunnies and pricier ones for Legit Hiking
  • Matches
***Jodi from Legal Nomads hosts a great site on travel. I used her site as a reference to pack things that wouldn't occur to me. Extra note: Happy to report that never needed the whistle and doorstop, but the power strip was excellent.

Bought En Route
  • Paper Notebooks (2)
  • Travel hairdryer
  • Flashlight (donation from a travel buddy)
  • Mini key locks (some lockers don't fit standard sized locks)
  • Waterproof cover for big pack
  • Waterproof pants
  • Compact mirror
  • Cross body bag*
Despite the super small-big bag, I never felt like I was missing anything. Though I only needed it once (and luckily someone else had it), I would have liked to have a small roll of duct tape. Nothing is as versatile and effective as duct tape.

*This is the single best day bag to use while hopping around the city. With a flap and inner zipper, while not theft proof, is certainly a deterrent to pickpockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment